Friday, August 10, 2012

Antique Doll with Celluloid Hands and Head

I found this doll at the Longest 127 Yard Sale and fell in love with the color and textures, even though she is actually pretty primitive. The body is stuffed with straw. I am not certain if this is the original stuffing. I'm actually not a doll expert but I loved the shape and colors.
The head is separated from the body. Feet are painted. Hands are celluloid.
The legs are attached with metal washers. The body is made from muslin. 
You can see the primitive color and natural patina on the fabrics and chippy paint on the hands.
This doll measurements are:
Body from neck to feet 11"
Head 3 1/3 high
around waist 8"

1 comment:

Erica75 said...

Hi, I got a doll exactly like this one from my grandparents. Did you ever find out when & where it's from, or try to repair it or rejuvenate it at all?
I'm pretty sure they're German and from the early 1920's at the latest. I'm planning to take mine to a doll hospital to see what they say, but I got excited when I saw yours & decided to see if you have any more info.